[OSM-talk] Oracle is changing Java's license how will it affect JOSM?

Greg Morgan dr.kludge.gm at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 06:17:30 UTC 2018

On Sun, Apr 22, 2018 at 1:06 PM, john whelan <jwhelan0112 at gmail.com> wrote:

> JAVA started as a SUN product.  It is now an Oracle product.  I spent a
> number of years working with Oracle on license for their databases.  A
> number of sales people's statements about their licensing were dubious and
> inconsistent so I'll admit I am slightly bias.
>
> Having said that if we look at the requirements then we'd like the ability
> to run on UNIX and Windows.  Apple are their own world and yes it can be
> run but Apple don't especially like you running it.
>
> We'd like to be able to run the software on corporate machines.  These
> days many companies follow the US government's lead and say JAVA is too
> much of a security risk to be allowed to install it.

Dude I went looking for these so called security issues. I found nothing.
Java is just another language.  I think that you are mixing up Java,
JavaScript, or Active X in the browser with Java as a whole. [1]    The
only thing that I could find is that you would have to switch to ADA.  You
cannot trust, Ruby, Java, or your beloved dot net to manage a rocket
guidance system.  The last time I heard something like this was when Steve
Ballmer was at Microsoft.  It is fitting that he retired from Microsoft and
bought a basket ball team.  Apparently, Steve Ballmer feels comfortable in
a court room setting.  ;-)

Regards,
Greg

[1] https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1075.pdf

9.3.16.12 Mobile Code (SC-18) The agency must: a. Define acceptable and
unacceptable mobile code and mobile code technologies c. Establish usage
restrictions and implementation guidance for acceptable mobile code and
mobile code technologies d. Authorize, monitor, and control the use of
mobile code within the information system Mobile code technologies include,
for example, Java, JavaScript, ActiveX, Postscript, PDF, Shockwave movies,
Flash animations, and VBScript, which are common installations on most end
user workstations. Usage restrictions and implementation guidance apply to
both the selection and use of mobile code installed on servers and mobile
code downloaded and executed on individual workstations and devices (e.g.,
tablet computers and smartphones).