[OSM-talk] Name:* tags in the local language

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Tue Apr 24 18:03:33 UTC 2018

On 2018-04-24 19:40, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
> I fully agree that it is a problem. I encountered nasty issues after
> implementing name rendering fallback with following language order
> (order is simplified for this example):
>
> name:pl, name:en, name:de, name
>
> Intention was to render English name in China/Korea rather than
> unreadable (for typical person from Poland) local name.
>
> The result was rendering German names in Poland, because name:pl was
> missing and name:de was present.

I think you're opening another can of worms here. How would this work
out for me (in Dutch) where I don't want to see places in latin script
translated? I do not want to see Londen or Berlijn or Brunswijk, I also
don't want to see English translations like Cologne or Munich, but I do
want to see readable (i.e. non-Cyrillic, Kanji, Hangul, etc) names.

Maarten