[OSM-talk] Name:* tags in the local language

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Tue Apr 24 19:06:13 UTC 2018

24. Apr 2018 20:03 by mdeen at xs4all.nl <mailto:mdeen at xs4all.nl>:

> I think you're opening another can of worms here. How would this work out for me (in Dutch) where I don't want to see places in latin script translated? I do not want to see Londen or Berlijn or Brunswijk, I also don't want to see English translations like Cologne or Munich, but I do want to see readable (i.e. non-Cyrillic, Kanji, Hangul, etc) names.

Simple fallback would not work here but something like that may work

if name tag has only latin characters use name tag

otherwise fallback through following name tags:

name:nl, name:de, name:en...

With such scheme missing name:nl would not cause problems here (except
cases where dutch name has characters beyond latin script, I have no
idea whatever it may happen).