[OSM-talk] Name:* tags in the local language

Yuri Astrakhan yuriastrakhan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 06:25:21 UTC 2018

Multiple semicolon-separated values do not solve the main problem -
figuring out the language of the "name" tag. If a region uses one value in
the name tag, "default_language" should be set to just one language.

If the whole region uses "xx - yy" convention in the name tag,
default_language could be set to "xx - yy" -- allowing tools to parse
name tag into two languages (although this would be an error prone method).

"official_language" is not a good tag name because it does not match the
meaning, e.g. the official languages of Canada are both en & fr, but "name"
tag is always in English except for Quebec, where it is in French.

Are there any objections to this (fuzzy) approach? Should the tag be called
something else?

* Use the largest possible admin region to set the "default_language" tag
to a single language code.  "default_language"Z does not mean the official
language of the region. It only specifies the language of the "name" tag.
* A region may contain a sub-region with a different default_language.
* If a region uses mixed languages in all of its name tags, eg. "[name in
en] - [name in zh]", set default_language="en - zh".  Try to keep it to a
somewhat parsable value to help data consumers.
* In some rare cases, additional non-admin regions might be required for
the default_language.  Try to avoid it if possible.