[OSM-talk] Name:* tags in the local language

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Thu Apr 26 14:33:27 UTC 2018

W dniu 26.04.2018 o 15:36, Martin Koppenhoefer pisze:

> <mailto:daniel w ko%C4%87.pl>>:
>

>     Isn't it like this:
>
>     Country Belgium - official_language=de;fr;nl
>     Region Brussels-Capital - official_language=fr;nl
>     City Eupen - official_language=de
>
>     What would be wrong with this scheme?
>

> it is only about "official languages" and it would somehow imply we
> would not want names added through ground truth for cases where the
> language the name is in, would not be recognized as an official language.

Sure, that's why I suggested common_language=* (common_language=xx +
name:xx=* is just like saying "name=* is in xx").

Could you explain this problem using some examples?

> I also don't know what this would imply for areas without formal
> government / disputed areas. Whose "official" language would we tag?

That's interesting case. How do we tag the borders for such areas?

If countries/regions with known official_language=* are overlapping, the
language would be known for both and you have to choose one or show both
(the same as official_language=xx;yy).

Another solution would be to use some special values, like "none" or
"disputed" for this area (unfortunately "no" is a code for Norwegian
language).

--
"My method is uncertain/ It's a mess but it's working" [F. Apple]