[OSM-talk] Paper/Article about stagnation in OSM

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Sat Aug 4 08:33:30 UTC 2018

Yes, I agree, - Share/Short Link is a great feature. I assume it is kind
of an implementation of Geohash [1]. Both the Geohash and the 3-Words
transmit just a location, the same as coordinates. 3-Words could be at
least in Cyrillic letters.

If I point just to a location of an apartment or an office, it could be
in fact several apartments or offices in a multilevel building. With
modern databases it could be possible to include some additional textual
information to make it a real address for many people.

I like Geohash approach more than 3-Words, besides it is in public
domain. In principle it should be possible to transliterate the geohash
on the fly by a program into Cyrillic or other scripts' letters. So it
could be transmitted via telephone; there is a phonetic alphabet for
Cyrillic letters too.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geohash
[2] https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Фонетический_алфавит

Best regards,