[OSM-talk] Paper/Article about stagnation in OSM

mmd mmd.osm at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 11:00:30 UTC 2018

On 08/01/18 01:08, john whelan wrote:
> The report has lots of long words but doesn't seem to grasp basic
> concepts well.
>
> OpenStreetMap to me has two primitives, nodes and ways.  These can and
> are combined to create areas.  They have tags attached.
>
> I honestly can't see any need for more primitives.

API 0.5 (about 11 years ago) introduced a new object type in the OSM
data model called "relations".

Contrary to common belief, there isn't such a thing as a dedicated
"Area" object type (yet). For some people this is the main reason why
OSM is stagnating and doomed to failure.

See https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Elements