[OSM-talk] Is it technically and legally possible to add the Open Location Code to the OSM search?

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Sat Aug 11 14:39:09 UTC 2018

Blake Girardot wrote:
> Also: No one is getting paid for anything related to this at this
> point. I personally would like to see Google donate to the OSMF
> and let the OSMF grant it out to help OSM core and eco system
> tools implement OLC native in code as it should be.

That's done. Tom has coded it. Months ago. It's 20 lines of code (plus
tests), which is a fraction of the bandwidth spent on this thread.

https://github.com/tomhughes/openstreetmap-website/commit/2e0a2c67caf64df732f1e14160d5ead96c73a656

Everyone in this thread appears to think that what Tom has done - i.e.
implementing it in the osm.org client rather than in tags - is a good idea,
apart from Simon, and even Homer nods sometimes.

Tom, understandably, doesn't want to push it live without consensus that
it's a good thing
(https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/pull/1818#issuecomment-380695939).
I reckon this thread is consensus enough and I'm sure Simon can indulge us
on this one little thing if we promise to uncockup some editor presets in
return. :)

Richard

--
Sent from: http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/General-Discussion-f5171242.html