[OSM-talk] AI detecting of buildings Idle thoughts

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Thu Aug 16 11:16:40 UTC 2018

On Thursday 16 August 2018, Warin wrote:

> Satellite imagery is available for the world..
> But how much do you know of Africa?
> [...]

You maybe don't realize that but the kind of data garbage i pointed to
is the direct result of projecting ideas and experiences of settlement
structures of some part of the world onto a different one. We are
mostly talking about scattered dwellings of what are probably mostly
subsistence farmers here.  The pointless polygon geometry drawing is
the failed attempt to regard those as a typical European/North American
residential area.

If this is due to a lack of knowledge about the actual geography or
because of a misguided belief that making it crudely look a bit like an
European/North American residential area is kind of beneficial for the
people there i don't know.

Anyway we are drifting off-topic here and this does not really help the
original question from John.  My answer to that would be:  Yes,
automated methods can help to find unmapped settlements in OSM - less
though in actually mapping them.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/