[OSM-talk] AI detecting of buildings Idle thoughts

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 10:13:15 UTC 2018

On 16/08/18 19:26, Christoph Hormann wrote:
> On Thursday 16 August 2018, Warin wrote:
>> As that particular mapper has local knowledge on their side I'd not
>> challenge them.
> Why not?
>
> I would love to see some ground level or aerial/satellite images
> documenting the verifiability of those outlines.
>
> The good thing about verifiability and the core of OpenStreetMap in
> general is that you don't have to trust some imagined authority about
> the data, you can independently verify it.
>
> I try to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume in such cases
> they are just ignorant of these principles or do not get why they are
> important but with organized efforts like this i can't help but get the
> impression there is a certain amount of malice to sabotage or at least
> an excessive amount of carelessness.

Satellite imagery is available for the world..
But how much do you know of Africa?

A residential area in Germany or Australia is very different from one in rural Africa or Asia.
A residential house/home is also very different ..
A fuel station in Africa can be signified by PET bottles strung up in a tree.. or on a fence.
and the fuel comes in those same PET bottles ... no 'gas pumps'. But you get your fuel.
We should not be imposing our standards on them, but rather accept their interpretation of what is a house, what is residential, etc.

I would not like to go to that particular area of the world to get ground truth ...
Western CDR ok .. eastern .. ummm ... no thanks.