[OSM-talk] AI detecting of buildings Idle thoughts

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Thu Aug 16 11:50:53 UTC 2018

On Thursday 16 August 2018, Rory McCann wrote:
> What's funny is that this import was (according to the changeset
> comment) based on "DigitalGlobe extracted building data". A straight
> up import of the original building geometries would probably be (i)
> less contentious (since a building is a building is a building), and
> (ii) more accurate for calculating population figures (a use for
> building data for humanitarian purposes) and (iii) better for OSM
> since lots of buildings is better than landuse=residential polygons.

I found this peculiar as well - the most likely explanation seems to be
that the quality of building detection and especially of building
geometry generation (if that is being done at all) is probably quite
bad and by not using the building data directly you can kind of
disguise such deficits.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/