[OSM-talk] AI detecting of buildings Idle thoughts

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Thu Aug 16 15:06:03 UTC 2018

Claire who added these polygons  is a resident of DR Congo. She coordinated with me the North-Kivu OSM Response in 2012, coordinating with the UN agencies and NGO's in Kinshasa.  She is coordinator of OSM-DRC and coordinator of this OSM Response for the Ebola outbreak around Beni, working closely with the DRC ministry of health and the humanitarian NGO's. I do support Claire for this coordination and other OSM projects in DRC. And we took the decision to use this info to spot rapidly the populated areas. «Take time» to look at these polygons one by one  (we did) and you will see that they reflect adequately the density of housing in these areas.

In may, has Potentiel 3.0 just started to support OSM-DRC for the OpenCities project in Kinshasa, we collectively had to reorganize quickly and respond to the Ebola Oubreak. This second outbreak in august is in a different region. Each time, OSM-DRC volunteers accept to support the responses, to go in various towns and organize activies. This is a very dynamic OSM communty that know the field.

Quality is very important for us and we started a project to use topological analysis to enhance the quality of OSM.  A first analysis based on the geometry of the buildings that I published last week on the hot lis was not commented except 1 answer. See https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/hot/2018-August/014529.htmlhttps://opendatalabrdc.github.io/Blog/index.html#!Bulding_Geometry_Analysis_to_Support_OpenStreetMap_Quality_Analysis.md

Pursuing the analysis, I have identified buildings that cross roads or various other polygons and cleaned the data.  See https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/61701721#map=12/-4.3993/15.3556
While we support this response, other OSM contributors in Kinshasa are organizing a 3 days Focus group for the OpenCities project with the neighborhood representatives to evaluate infrastructures at risk in case of outbreaks or floods.
See OpenStreetMap RDC on Twitter

|  |  |

|  |
OpenStreetMap RDC on Twitter

“Focus group avec représentants des quartiers, zones a risque d'inondation et d’érosion Kisenso et matete, Kins...

|  |  |

|  |
Changeset: 61701721 | OpenStreetMap

OpenStreetMap is a map of the world, created by people like you and free to use under an open license.

We are highly involved, volunteering for OSM and you should understand that we take some critics with a «a grain of salt».
But the contributor Christoph is going a bit far, insulting, expressing doubts about skills of OSM valuable volunteers that know the reality on the ground and respond in such difficult context. He should use less epithets, stop signing «Verifiability my ass...», clean it, realign his «idle thoughts» and make excuses to Claire.

Regard
Pierre

    Le jeudi 16 août 2018 07 h 57 min 38 s HAE, Christoph Hormann <osm at imagico.de> a écrit :

 On Thursday 16 August 2018, Rory McCann wrote:
> What's funny is that this import was (according to the changeset
> comment) based on "DigitalGlobe extracted building data". A straight
> up import of the original building geometries would probably be (i)
> less contentious (since a building is a building is a building), and
> (ii) more accurate for calculating population figures (a use for
> building data for humanitarian purposes) and (iii) better for OSM
> since lots of buildings is better than landuse=residential polygons.

I found this peculiar as well - the most likely explanation seems to be
that the quality of building detection and especially of building
geometry generation (if that is being done at all) is probably quite
bad and by not using the building data directly you can kind of
disguise such deficits.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/