[OSM-talk] AI detecting of buildings Idle thoughts

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Thu Aug 16 15:52:08 UTC 2018

> And we took the decision to use this info
> to spot rapidly the populated areas. «Take time» to look at these
> polygons one by one  (we did) and you will see that they reflect
> adequately the density of housing in these areas.

No, they don't (at least not for any meaningful definition of "density
of housing").

In any case even if they did - iso-lines of some model of a building
density field are quite fundamentally not something that is mappable in
OSM, especially not with landuse=residential.

It seems i need to clarify one thing:  My harsh criticizm of the data
imported (which i stand by firmly) is about the data.  I - just like
probably everyone else here - am aware that clairedelune did not
generate this data.  The kind of problem we see here is exactly the
reason why we have import guidelines and why we need a directed editing
policy so mappers do not get into a situation where they add bad data
in larger volume because they follow - usually with good intentions -
the unqualified instructions of others or wrongly believe the quality
claims of data providers.

If the import plans had been properly discussed we could have had this
discussion in advance and could have considered useful options - like
for example the idea of impoting the buildings as Rory suggested.

I also want to make sure this example is not blown out of proportion.
There are plenty of bad quality imports and bad mapping in OSM.  If you
look at landuse=residential mapping in Eastern Africa this is not the
worst data in the database, not by a large margin.  I just pointed it
out here as an example because it was a perfect fit for the idea John
brought up.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/