[OSM-talk] Representing places with no housenumber

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 22:55:32 UTC 2018

sent from a phone

> On 23. Aug 2018, at 00:30, Christoph Hormann <osm at imagico.de> wrote:
>
> I still don't know if the addresses listed there are unique (in the
> sense that only those government offices have this address) or if there
> are maybe a dozen other unrelated buildings which happen to have the
> same address (which clashes with my understanding of the concept of an
> address).

it depends what the housenumber represents, in Germany this is either a plot or a building, depending on the Bundesland, for example in Italy it is an entrance (from the public to the private space), and if the buildings are all accessible by one entrance in the perimeter they can all have the same housenumber (external number, they should also get individual internal numbers).

You can map just the number and create a kind of POI in itself, but if there is already a POI and you add address tags to it they are (also) a property of the POI. This is mapped with the same tags. To know whether the address is for a plot or an entrance requires additional knowledge about the legal situation and usage, you cannot see it from current data.

Cheers,
Martin