[OSM-talk] Representing places with no housenumber

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Wed Aug 22 22:30:21 UTC 2018

On Wednesday 22 August 2018, Nelson A. de Oliveira wrote:

> You know that we live in a heterogeneous world with many oddities and
> peculiarities, that what makes sense in one country or region may not
> make sense in another, that these definitions are beyond our control
> and that we are only trying to represent what exists in the real
> world, right?

Well - tags are generally invented for a specific part of our
heterogeneous world and you need to be careful when using the same tags
in a very different geographic setting based on some superficial
similarity.

If in your area there are addresses that are very different from
elsewhere it might not be a good idea to use the same tags for those.

> But for example, multiple government offices are listed in this page
> https://www.ma.gov.br/contatos/ and some, despite having a proper
> address, don't have a housenumber (where "S/N" is the abbreviation
> for "sem nĂºmero" = "no number")

I still don't know if the addresses listed there are unique (in the
sense that only those government offices have this address) or if there
are maybe a dozen other unrelated buildings which happen to have the
same address (which clashes with my understanding of the concept of an
address).

Note to document a building/place belongs to a certain street we also
have the concept of the associatedStreet relation.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:associatedStreet

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/