[OSM-talk] Board decision on Crimea complaint

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Tue Dec 11 12:53:51 UTC 2018

As Frederik pointed out a bit back, this is just kicking the can down
the road.

We will still have to make choices and even if that is just to declare
that a boundary is disputed (which for example is definitely not
something RU agrees with in the case of Crimea) and those choices will
be continued to be questioned and attacked. If somebody wanted to use a
different set of borders, they could have easily done so now, that is
not the problem and thinking that this can be solved by simply mapping
more variants is ignoring the actual motivation behind the complaints.

The really nice property of the now defunct policy was that you could
defend it with simple practical arguments, aka if you drive from A to B
and we don't show de facto boundaries of control, you are dead. But 99%
of the way the policy worked was through the appearance that it was cast
in stone.

Opening up the matter to political influence is opening up our decisions
to a never ending deluge of arguments by professionals paid by their
respective governments (which was BTW the reason we put the policy in
place back in 2012/13, essentially I had enough of wasting my time for
months on ends arguing with people that were being paid for what they
were doing), and it will not go away by adding more tags.

Simon