[OSM-talk] Candidate's views? Re: Board decision on Crimea complaint

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Tue Dec 11 14:37:09 UTC 2018

On 12/11/2018 2:39 PM, Tom Hughes wrote:
> On 11/12/2018 13:22, Oleksiy Muzalyev wrote:
>
>> I would like to point out that in Ukraine displaying a map without
>> Crimea is illegal, article 110, part 1, of the Penal code. It
>> involves from 3 to 5 years of imprisonment [1]. So the OSM map
>> without Crimea is becoming potentially unusable for the community in
>> Ukraine.
>
> The same is true in India for the various borders, including
> that with China.
>
> It's also true in China for the border with India.
>
> Unsurprisingly there is no one rendering that is legal on both
> sides of the border.
>
> None of which has stopped us using our current rule for that
> border.
>
> Tom

I see your point. However, there is a difference. This is an issue in
Europe, which potentially could trigger a new Cold War, which already
brings a lot of losses and suffering all over the continent via
sanctions, lost opportunities, etc.

Tremendous forces are involved in this conflict, powerful armies are in
poise. In my opinion, an elegant technical solution, which satisfies
both sides, is to be found, what could set an example for political elites.

As for transparency for the board and candidates in this particular
issue, I would not recommend it. They are civilians and volunteers. In
my opinion, the board and DWG should listen to the opinions and develop
a compromise collective solution.

Best regards,

Oleksiy