[OSM-talk] Ground truth for non-physical objects

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Wed Dec 12 10:34:01 UTC 2018

On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 01:08:35PM +0200, Tomas Straupis wrote:
>   This is a very good example of possibly misleading reflection.
>   What if a driver is stopping in unofficial position somewhere
> outside of large city to let local people he knows out/in even when
> there is no official stop?
>   What if a national park had a small sign in the forest track and the
> sign was not moved when national park boundaries have moved?
>   I had an actual situation 5 or so years ago when an address was
> mapped in Vilnius. Address does not exist in official records. The
> user sent me a picture of this house number. I contacted municipality
> ant they explained that the sign is not an official one, it means
> nothing, there is no such address.

There is no such address in municipal records. Does not mean a lot
in 95% of the World. In the other 5% of the World it means someone
is using an inofficial address. Still it works. So we document its
existance by mapping it. We are not a replica of some other dataset
which is as error prone as ours.

Flo