[OSM-talk] Ground truth for non-physical objects

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Sat Dec 15 13:02:09 UTC 2018

On 2018-12-15 12:54, Andy Townsend wrote:

> The whole point of the "verifiability" and "ground truth" principles is so as _not_ to have to rely on documents.

First time I have heard that as a (documented) rationale behind "ground
truth".

Surely the stronger requirement is public verifiability, from a freely
accessible, objectively reliable source. What is physically present in
situ is a subset of that - but so are public records. This would make
the mapping objective, in the sense that a random second mapper would be
able to verify the correctness of the data and/or come to the same
conclusion.