[OSM-talk] Ground truth for non-physical objects

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Sat Dec 15 15:07:06 UTC 2018

"without access to the same sources" ... what if there is only one
source of truth? With these non-observable items like admin boundaries
that is often the case. Does "independent verifiability" now mean that
there must be at least two sources that agree before this criterion is
fulfilled? What qualifies as a source, anyway? If two people look at the
same tree, is that one source or two? Such observations are always
ephemeral anyway.

The link to your blog was useful, thanks. I will read through it all
later, but my immediate reaction was that it is not a good idea to have
parallel fora, especially when discussing something as fundamental as
this. Either we do it here on the ML, or on your blog post, or on the
OSM wiki; but please, not in three places at once.