[OSM-talk] Insufficient map attribution by global players, WAS Re: Grab using OSM Data for route preview

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 09:53:39 UTC 2018

sending again

sent from a phone

> On 19. Dec 2018, at 09:33, Ervin Malicdem <schadow1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> But still, the issue remains that when the community does not care about these violations, then we are prone to such instance over and over.

I wholeheartedly agree, people traditionally had not to fear anything for ignoring the license requirements and the way attribution should be given according to the legal FAQ (at least this is the impression I got in 11 years of OSM, please correct me if I’m wrong).

I just took another look whether facebook had fixed their maps in the meantime and noticed there is not only no attribution at all on the mobile map (on a fb page), there is also a link below the map called “get directions” which leads to google maps, while clicking the map picture itself opens Apple Maps (on an iPhone).

Similarly the default Mapbox mobile style (mb gl js) pretends to have to “hide” OpenStreetMap behind an “i” button on small screens, but they have found sufficient space to keep the mapbox logo visible all the time.

Apple Maps have removed the legal link in the left corner and show no attribution at all on the map, after clicking the “i” there is attribution to tomtom and the weather channel at the bottom of a settings page, but still no mention of OSM:

Is there someone at the OSMF looking into these cases? At least the major global players should be asked to attribute like we require.

Cheers,
Martin