[OSM-talk] Roundabouts - why is a separate segment required?

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Wed Feb 14 17:13:38 UTC 2018

On 2018-02-14 17:39, Dave F wrote:
> I think I have read it correctly.
>
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/5408566797
>
> It is easy to determine this shared node is part of the roundabout as
> well as the entrance from Wapping & can exit along Commercial, or if
> required, continue around the roundabout:
> How is this different from, say, two side roads joining a main road at
> the same node?,

Because a machine can not determine if you are actually entering the
roundabout or not. Technically speaking you are not because you are just
touching one node of the roundabout.

Suppose your example with the two side roads, if you were to go from
Side Road A to Side Road B via the node that is connected to Main Road
A, would you want the router to give you instructions to "enter Main
Road A and turn into Side Road B"? No, it gives you directions to "turn
into Side Road B". The same at this roundabout, going from Wapping Road
to Commercial Road it will tell you to "turn left into Commercial Road"
and not to "enter the roundabout and exit at the first exit into
Commercial Road".
At may be that the road layout is such that you don't enter the
roundabout, I don't know but when you do have to enter the roundabout,
you have to leave a segment between the entry and exit or the routing
instructions will be wrong.

Just connecting to a road on a node does not mean you enter that road.
The same at intersections, if you cross a road (connected by a node) you
do not enter that road so you do not need instructions for it.

Maarten