[OSM-talk] Roundabouts - why is a separate segment required?

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Wed Feb 14 17:27:54 UTC 2018

On 14/02/2018 16:50, Colin Smale wrote:

> Based on my experiences with mkgmap it's not so much a routing problem
> as a navigation problem. The router will pick the correct path through
> the graph but the translation to "human instructions" get confused,
> like the exit numbers and the way the roundabouts display. Turning
> right at a roundabout, i.e. taking the third exit, might show as
> straight on and the instructions may refer to the first exit.

This would only occur if there was no check to see if it's a roundabout
first:

  * Enter
  * Check if roundabout
  * (While still on the same node) Start counting entrances/exits

I'm glad you mentioned mkgmap as I suspect this is where this mapping
instruction originated. From previous conversations on their forum it's
clear some try to fudge OSM as they lack the skill to program mkgmap
correctly.

OSM contributors should not have to map incorrectly to suit these data users

DaveF.