[OSM-talk] "The Future of Free and Open-Source Maps" Slashdot.org , Saturday February 17, 2018

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Sat Feb 17 21:17:56 UTC 2018

On 2018-02-17 22:02, Jakob Mühldorfer wrote:

> Thanks for pointing it out to us!
>
> I too have some thoughts on points in the article.
> One I agree with, one not
>
> Let me start with this one:
> "No Support For Observational, or Other Datasets"
> This is the point I agree with.
> OSM is missing out on some valuable information due to this strict "verifiable on the ground" policy.

The rule would better be expressed as "verifiable from public sources",
so that any member of the public can verify its correctness without
being privy to any secret or confidential knowledge. Admin boundaries
are a case in point; there is no dotted line across the fields, but the
route of the boundary is (usually) a matter of public record and
therefore verifiable without privileged access.