[OSM-talk] Nominatim on the main page

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Sun Feb 18 17:59:58 UTC 2018

On 18/02/18 17:45, Tom Hughes wrote:
> On 18/02/18 17:34, Paul Johnson wrote:
>
>> On the OSM homepage, can we use the visible area (or maybe that plus
>> an exploded offset to a larger surrounding bounds) as a bonding box to
>> be passed to Nominatim for some context when searching?  This
>> animation really drives the problem home.
>
> We already do exactly that.
>
> Sarah can clarify the details but we pass the bounding box to Nominatim
> and I believe it expands that by a factor of two and then prefers any
> results in that area over those further afield.

Incidentally if you use https://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/ you can
experiment with the affect of the viewbox parameter that we pass by
checking and unchecking the "apply viewbox" checkbox beside the search
button and zooming moving the map to choose a box.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/