[OSM-talk] Nominatim on the main page

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sun Feb 18 18:04:18 UTC 2018

On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 11:45 AM, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:

> On 18/02/18 17:34, Paul Johnson wrote:
>
> On the OSM homepage, can we use the visible area (or maybe that plus an
>> exploded offset to a larger surrounding bounds) as a bonding box to be
>> passed to Nominatim for some context when searching?  This animation really
>> drives the problem home.
>>

> We already do exactly that.
>
> Sarah can clarify the details but we pass the bounding box to Nominatim
> and I believe it expands that by a factor of two and then prefers any
> results in that area over those further afield.

 OK, so what can we do about this problem?  For example, go to Jenks,
Oklahoma.  Search for Walmart.  First result isn't the Walmart Neighborhood
Market across the street from the Riverside Market shopping center.  It's
not even the Walmart Supercenter across from Oral Roberts University.  Or
even the Walmart Neighborhood Market further from downtown Jenks, but still
in Jenks, over by Haddington Heights.  The results instead are in Sunset
Harbor, Florida; Saint Louis, Missouri; Tallahassee, Florida, El Paso,
Texas; and Fairbanks, Alaska.

I get that if you get specific and actually type "Walmart jenks" in, you
get the one in Haddington Heights, and then the one in Glenpool, Oklahoma
(slightly odd for that one, but not entirely unreasonable).  But this isn't
what most people are going to do.  I also get that the homepage isn't
*meant* to be used as the product itself, just a demonstration, but we
really should be putting our best foot forward there.