[OSM-talk] Is this legal to what philly.com is doing?

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Fri Feb 23 14:40:11 UTC 2018

On 2/22/2018 8:03 PM, James Mast wrote:
> http://www.philly.com/philly/news/politics/will-republicans-impeach-pennsylvania-supreme-court-justices-20180222.html
>
> (ignore what the article is about)
>

> Just happen to see a thumbnail and clicked on the article since I
> noticed the OSM base map.  Nowhere that I can find does it give credit
> to OSM for the use of it.
>

> Now, the part to where I was curious if this was legal (sans the lack
> of credit), is that they are 'selling' the uploaded image.  Is that
> allowed currently under the license that OSM has?

Yes. They need to either be attributing OSM, or if the image is taken
from an osm.org render, attributing OSM and licensing it CC BY-SA.

A key feature of open licenses is that they do not discriminate by field
of use, which includes commercial use. Someone who purchased the image
can either reuse the underlying data under the ODbL, or, in the case of
a CC BY-SA image, also reuse the image.