[OSM-talk] Highway=trunk : harmonization between countries ?

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sat Feb 24 12:02:36 UTC 2018

On 24/02/18 09:30, djakk djakk wrote:
> There is 2 « independant » things in the debate :
> 1) trunk definition - what is a trunk, a motorway-like road - based on
> physical characteristics- or a super-primary road - based on the
> importance ?
Since the classification initiated from the UK, that is still the base
and a motorway has restrictions that do not apply to a trunk route such
as 'no learners'. In addition they were maintained 'nationally' while
primary roads are a local responsibility. That was been muddied much as
the idea that trunk routes are faster. For the UK the road structure is
well defined and it would be nice to get back a rendering with the
proper colours ( and a selection for that on OSMAND ) ...

> 2) wordwilde trunk definition ? - should we have the same definition all
> over the world of what is highway= trunk ? (value that are
> country-dependant are not that common, aren’t they ?)
Since there are no distinctions in many countries there is no need to
include truck if there are no such roads in a country, and perhaps for
'world wide' trunk gets rendered the same as motorway or primary? Only
local rendering actually benefits from the distinction? Do any countries
not have motorways at all? Certainly the current default rendering is
useless for many of us anyway so we have to ue an alternate anyway ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL