[OSM-talk] Automatically generated changeset discussion comments by OSMCha

Marco constable13 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 08:28:56 UTC 2018

Agree with you, I don't really like this feature, mainly for two reasons:

1) I see myself as a quite experienced mapper and I guess pretty much
99% of my edits improved the map, I think it's nice to see that someone
double checks some of my edits using osmcha or achavi, but I also think
there's actually no need to add a comment saying that my edit "looks
great". I reckon it might be useful when dealing with new mappers as
adding a comment saying "you're doing a great job, keep it up" might
improve the new mapper's motivation, but shelling my email address with
emails from osm, saying that someone added a comment (automatic and
useless) to one of my changeset does only annoy me. It's like clapping
your hands to the supermarket cashier every time he/she prints you the
receipt.

2) I've always been using the "changesets w/comments" line of the HDYC
page to double check suspicious mappers. Usually a mapper with a ton of
commented changesets was to consider suspicious, from now on this osmcha
feature is going to add a crazy amount of positive/useless comments and
then looking at the number of changesets with comments of a mapper is
not going to be useful anymore. It also makes things more complex when
trying to double check a mapper which already saved hundreds of changesets.

Cheers

Marco