[OSM-talk] proposed mechanical edit - moving FIXME=* to fixme=*

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Wed Jul 4 11:04:49 UTC 2018

Florian Lohoff wrote:
> Have you ever dealt with OSM data from a software development
> standpoint?
>
> There is no such thing as "database quality". Its a big spaghetti
> mess and data consumers take whats documented and ignore
> misspellings. Users have to fix it with discipline noticing the errors
> in data consumers products. Thats been OSM for more than a
> decade.

This is absolutely spot on and perhaps the best summary I've read of how
real-world products deal with OSM data. Thank you, Florian.

I'd add one postscript: for cycle.travel I take what's used, not "what's
documented", and I believe many other consumers do the same. The surface
values I parse are those which show up most highly at
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/surface#values , not whatever might
be listed at the wiki. The same goes for numerous other cases where wiki
documentation differs wildly from real-world mapping practice (there are a
couple of notorious examples around access which I won't bore you with
here).

Richard

--
Sent from: http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/General-Discussion-f5171242.html