[OSM-talk] proposed mechanical edit - moving FIXME=* to fixme=*

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Wed Jul 4 20:18:43 UTC 2018

4. Lipiec 2018 08:38 od f at zz.de <mailto:f at zz.de>:

> Its a big spaghetti mess
> and data consumers take whats documented and ignore misspellings. Users
> have to fix it with discipline noticing the errors in data consumers
> products. Thats been OSM for more than a decade. It turned software
> development principles upside down. For decades we invested man months
> to do input validation before storing data. With OSM we store anything
> if it looks like it might be representable in a key and value. Data
> consumers have to decide which of the kv pairs look promising and
> process them. This made OSM the most flexible way of storing everyones
> geo data.

I fully agree, that is a good description how OSM works (though it gives too much weight to

documentation, something documented and not present in database will be ignored,

data consumers may also support undocumented tags).

> There is no such thing as "database quality".

I strongly disagree here. I am not going to try defining quality metrics but there are certainly areas

mapped better and poorly mapped, it is also possible to compare quality of tagging

(for example database where buildings are marked by building=* tag is preferable to one

where buildings are defined by buillding=* or budynek=* or rakennus=* or edificio=* or feature=2727).