[OSM-talk] OSM and new Wikipedia map features

Yuri Astrakhan yuriastrakhan at gmail.com
Thu May 3 22:20:59 UTC 2018

I cannot speak for WMF, only about the actual Kartotherian stack behind it,
and the way they are currently using it:

On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 12:52 AM Daniel Koć <daniel at koć.pl> wrote:

> 1. The localized maps lack fallback rules (I'm speaking of Polish
> language at least). I would ask for English as a fallback for maps in
> Polish, but I don't know where should it be requested or configured? Is
> this list the right place?:
>
> https://github.com/kartotherian/babel/blob/master/lib/fallbacks.json
>
> See also how the name tag is picked here:
https://github.com/kartotherian/babel/blob/master/lib/LanguagePicker.js#L106
It has went through several revisions recently, so this is somewhat in a
flux.

2. How many languages do you want to support in total and what hardware
> resources are needed for that using your toolchain?

Kartotherian itself can handle unlimited number of languages.  Vector tiles
can simply hold every possible language, and babel picks the one you want
based on the above heuristic.   My understanding is that currently WMF does
not filter out any languages, nor does it plan to, so any lang=xx would
work, where xx comes directly from the name:xx tags.

> 3. What about the same language using different scripts, do you plan to
> support them all?
>
> Babel does not actually know much about the "language". It looks at the
language codes, trying to match it to the fallbacks, and uses heuristic
when fallback fails.   E.g. it should be possible to simply have two
language codes for Serbian in Latin & Cyrillic, and say that if one is
available when the other is not, to fallback.