[OSM-talk] OSM and new Wikipedia map features

Joe Matazzoni jmatazzoni at wikimedia.org
Thu May 3 22:33:21 UTC 2018

Hi Daniel,
I’ll look for your contributions on the project talk page. Thanks. Meanwhile, here are answers to your questions:

> 1. The localized maps lack fallback rules (I'm speaking of Polish

> language at least). I would ask for English as a fallback for maps in

> Polish, but I don't know where should it be requested or configured? Is

> this list the right place?:

No fallback is currently defined for Polish. We’ll be happy to change that if you can show community consensus. Make sure your community understands that maps have a separate fallback list from the general language fallback list for the wiki, where the fallback controls things like what language UI messages are shown in. The two lists are identical at the moment, but having two separate lists means that you can change the way maps behave without having to change behavior for the wiki in general. So that should make getting consensus easier. When you have consensus, leave a request with a link to the discussion on the maps project page, or fill in a phabricator ticket and tag it to both “maps” and "Collaboration-Feature-Rollouts (Collaboration-Maps)”.

Here is the list of languages Wikimedia supports. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:SiteMatrix <https://www.google.com/url?q=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:SiteMatrix&sa=D&source=hangouts&ust=1525471804237000&usg=AFQjCNHsOP6lQnhNIucbS2AyFY26AG7tiA> . As to the toolchain, if you ask that question on the project page, some of our engineers will be able to respond.  Be sure to explain why you’re asking, so we can answer you fully.

> 3. What about the same language using different scripts, do you plan to

> support them all?

That is a very interesting edge case we hadn’t thought of.  We’ll have to look into that one; our lead engineer just wrote a ticket to investigate: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T193815 <https://www.google.com/url?q=https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T193815&sa=D&source=hangouts&ust=1525472750803000&usg=AFQjCNEzVPXSLGmL0dxiGsN09aYPHA7_JA>.  I know about Serbian. What other languages do this?

Best,
Joe

Joe Matazzoni
Product Manager, Collaboration
Wikimedia Foundation, San Francisco

"Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge."