[OSM-talk] OSM and new Wikipedia map features

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Thu May 3 23:44:44 UTC 2018

Hi Joe

These features are promizing. My observations will be focused on the interrelations between OSM and Wikipeda and my perception that OSM contributors need more documentation to support Wikipedians.

I was contacted recently by a  Wikipedian who talked to me about the maplink feature and was looking how to represent a river (watershed or other possibilities). From our exchanges, we saw different possibilities but I could not find what to do on the OSM side to use these features. It says that we can both represent polygons or lines. Adding wikidata and waiting up to four days, I had no success.  Good examples that are working would help.  I have a Wikipeda account and also tried to use these features in a wikipedia page using mapframe but with no success.

Should we simply add a wikidata and wikipedia will take care. Should we define a mapframe in a wikipedia page? Or the two options are available?

The example below shows an OSM relation for a polygon that is well represented in Wikipedia.https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%A9servoir_La_Grande_4#/maplink/0

But adding a wikidata tag to a OSM waterway riverbank about four days ago, I only see a  node represented on the wikipedia maplink map.
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivi%C3%A8re_L'Assomption#/maplink/0
We need more infos on what type of OSM features can be represented in Wikipedia. Also, should the wikidata be unique or not in OSM. For example, if I represent a municipality with both a relation for the polygon borders and a node for the OSM place, where should I place the wikidata? On the relation? on  the node? On both? Or two different wikidatga iD's? It depends if I want to represent the polygon or the node or both?

Territories are also interesting to represent. We often see images in Wikipedia but how to make a link to an OSM object in Wikipedia? See for example Longueuil, Québec who has two different wikidata for polygon and node. Wikipedia maplink shows a node, but not sure this is related to the node wikidata.
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longueuil#/maplink/0https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6948543
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/252025539
Pierre