[OSM-talk] OSM and new Wikipedia map features

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Fri May 4 08:07:34 UTC 2018

3. May 2018 22:49 by jmatazzoni at wikimedia.org <mailto:jmatazzoni at wikimedia.org>:

> I’d very much like to get your suggestions for a short list of Help links on OSM—pages you think a user coming in to add multilingual names would find useful. Also please send your thoughts about any information you think I particularly should impart.

1) Don't be afraid to ask (though, as usually, checking

standards tutorials before doing that is a good idea) -

see https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Get_help <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Get_help>

for example of list of help pages/forums.

2) Note that OSM is stricter on copyright that Wikipedia or Wikidata.

It is OK to copy from any printed map or Google maps - it is even

encouraged in Wikipedia[1] and it is utterly unacceptable in OSM[2].

It applies also to data that were copied from copyrighted databases into

Wikidata (some went through Wikipedias).

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Obtaining_geographic_coordinates <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Obtaining_geographic_coordinates>

[2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Copyright#Proprietary_data <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Copyright#Proprietary_data>