[OSM-talk] 3rd party API integration

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Sat Nov 17 19:42:04 UTC 2018

I wrote a web-application which can display either Wikipedia articles of
any language version, which have got geographical coordinates, or
Wikidata items, which have got coordinates, or Wikimedia Commons
categories with coordinates, or OSM objects which have got wikidata=,
wikipedia=, wikimedia_commons=* tags around a location.

The web-application is available via the link:
http://ausleuchtung.ch/geo_wiki/

It is about twenty file lines of code. All heavy lifting is done by the
Wikipedia, Wikidata, Wikimedia APIs, or in one word - MediaWiki API, and
the Overpass API. Click on the map and the geo-markers with the
corresponding links will appear on the map around the click. With
Wikimedia API, i.e. with the Wikimedia Commons categories, it sometimes
may work after a slight delay, as if the API is "asleep" to save energy,
but as soon as one starts to use it, after about half a minute it works
fine.

I am thinking of integrating also search of videos with coordinates
around the click. However, I am not certain yet with videos.

I use this web-application for planning my surveys to see what is there
at a certain place, which categories I may improve, what Wikidata items
I may enrich being on the ground, etc.

Best regards,
Oleksiy