[OSM-talk] OSMF silently sides with Russia?

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Tue Nov 20 06:46:53 UTC 2018

I've not been involved in this discussion at all, so it wasn't my
decision. But as we've repeated time and time again on many occasions,
the default borders in OSM are those of de facto control and recording
the fact of which country has control has nothing to do if we think that
is legit, appropriate or anything similar, it is simply recording the fact.

More on the policy can be found here
https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/w/images/d/d8/DisputedTerritoriesInformation.pdf

If the Ukraine regains control of the Crimea, or there was some other
solution, we would duly record that.  In any case none of this stops you
from producing maps with other borders, however imaginary they might be.

Simon