[OSM-talk] OSMF silently sides with Russia?

Tomas Straupis tomasstraupis at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 19:09:13 UTC 2018

2018-11-20, an, 20:58 Christoph Hormann rašė:
> This is not a workable approach as an universal rule.  The volume of
> boundary relation overlap world wide would be enormeous.  You would
> have a significant number of boundaries that have no practical meaning
> today.  Some countries have pretty excessive claims.  Formally Taiwan
> (the ROC) claims all of the PRC for example.  It is also completely
> non-verifiable (anyone can claim something is theirs).

  Correct me if I'm wrong, but border overlap is only important for
geocoding purposes? It is possible to calculate border geometry (for
the specific requirements of specific use case - so very flexible) not
on every db update but less often (each day, each week, each month, on
request, whatever). (Something like this WILL be or is already
happening in databases doing real cartographic generalisation tasks).

  It would this way be reduced to simple TECHNICAL problem with known solutions.

  But it would eliminate all border DISPUTES and ELIMINATE all this
political crap out of OSM discussions.