[OSM-talk] OSMF makes a political decision where should be a technical solution?

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Fri Nov 23 09:05:02 UTC 2018

On 22/11/2018 18:53, Victor Shcherb wrote:
> In that case I would actually support idea of deleting all country
> boundaries to avoid this question completely.

There are numerous sets of data within OSM that are disputed and one
'controlling body' or another would prefer was not published at all. The
best that can be done is for local displays of that data to provide
local filters. Simply deleting data is never going to be the right
solution, but allowing tools that censor the data is equally controversial.

For the point of view of OSMAND, the display needs to know where one can
drive and where one will be stopped and need paperwork to proceed. THAT
in my book is the simple ToTG because it is flagged by something
physical. That some areas don't actually have 'border posts' does create
a problem, but as an 'outside visitor' to the Ukraine or Cyprus, where
can I drive and where could I run into difficulty if I do drive into a
disputed area. It's the grey areas that are something that will cause
problems and may require projects like OSMAND to censor data based on
the user view? I doubt that OSM services are really able to manage this
area in a generic way?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL