[OSM-talk] weird "excessive bounces" warnings from the list

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Mon Oct 1 20:05:49 UTC 2018

On 01/10/2018 19:54, Richard wrote:

> The messages go straight into a dedicated gmail inbox without any
> filters.
> As far as I know gmail will only ever reject messages that contain
> what looks to it like executable programs - attached files
> (*.exe, *.com, *.bat)

It also rejects email from a sender whose SPF record tells
it to - that is a problem when mail is forwarded by a mailing
list because it no longer appears to come from a "valid" address
for the sender so services like gmail which believe SPF records
with a "hard reject" flag will reject the email, causing us to
see a bounce.

So the real problem is subscribers to the list using services
like yahoo mail which ignore the reality of how email works and
think they can specify exactly where yahoo.com email should
appear to come form.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)