[OSM-talk] weird "excessive bounces" warnings from the list

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Tue Oct 2 03:21:23 UTC 2018

On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 3:09 PM Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:

> On 01/10/2018 19:54, Richard wrote:
>
> > The messages go straight into a dedicated gmail inbox without any
> > filters.
> > As far as I know gmail will only ever reject messages that contain
> > what looks to it like executable programs - attached files
> > (*.exe, *.com, *.bat)
>
> It also rejects email from a sender whose SPF record tells
> it to - that is a problem when mail is forwarded by a mailing
> list because it no longer appears to come from a "valid" address
> for the sender so services like gmail which believe SPF records
> with a "hard reject" flag will reject the email, causing us to
> see a bounce.

Only if the sender is sending from a server other than their normal mail
server, something readily detectable in the headers.  Google seems to use
the same strategy as I did running my own mail server for about 12 years
before moving to gsuite, which is, hey, not totally standards-compliant,
since it'll go through DATA before deciding whether or not to accept or
reject, but very workable to give the sender some idea what happened.