[OSM-talk] iD influencing tagging

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 17:43:18 UTC 2019

>John - did you look at Github issue 2776 [1] that discussed
Semi-Detached?  I've never tagged a semi-detached house, but iD offers it
as a preset.

I don't normally use iD but you must explain to me where iD offers it as a
preset since I was unable to spot it. Stats Canada's project to map
buildings is where the concern arose.  The more precise the detail the more
valuable is the information.

Open / Closed environment simply that iD is very widely used which means I
think it should be held to a higher standard since its presets are
generally the ones used.  OSM has room for discussion I maybe mistaken but
I'm under the impression that the programmers here make the decisions.
Based on my programming background normally the technical authority is not
the programmer.

In JOSM using the buildings_tool to map a line of square buildings takes
two clicks per building and they are both square and correctly tagged.  iD
takes far more clicks.  Squaring after drawing introduces a level of
approximation.

Cheerio John