[OSM-talk] iD influencing tagging

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Sun Apr 7 16:12:18 UTC 2019

On Sun, Apr 7, 2019 at 5:44 AM John Whelan <jwhelan0112 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I note that the matter has been raised in talk-de and mentioned in osm
> weekly.
>
> Tagging is not always easy, but I do have concerns when iD is so commonly
> used but the recommended tags do not align with OpenStreetMap I'll say
> normals.
>
> Specifically one of my concerns is a semi-detached house is not recognised
> in iD only the more general tag house.
>
> John - did you look at Github issue 2776 [1] that discussed
Semi-Detached?  I've never tagged a semi-detached house, but iD offers it
as a preset.

JOSM I think is much more open than iD but given the way OpenStreetMap
> functions I suspect ID is a much more closed environment.

Can you help me understand what you  mean by iD is a much more closed
environment? Are you saying because it is a browser based application it is
more closed or???  When I look at the number of people that have created
issues and the current pull requests it seems like a number of people are
involved.

> For example JOSM has the buildings_tool plugin, Africa has a large number
> of odd shaped buildings mapped in iD.

It seems to me that building shapes are more of a newbie issue  than editor
issue. I look at each new editor in my state. Squaring buildings is one of
the most common tips I give new mappers. Had they started out in JOSM, I
suspect I'd still be giving the same tip. Not because of the editor but
they wouldn't know to install and use the building tool.

> Thoughts ladies and gentlemen?

I believe iD has come a long way.  I'm using it more and more instead of
JOSM. I applaud the speed at which Bryan and others respond to issues and
have improved it. The original post on talk-de really seemed to be
complaining that the development staff is paid. Maybe what we should be
asking is "Should OSMF fund development of tools?"

[1]  https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues/2776

Best,
Clifford

--