[OSM-talk] iD influencing tagging

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 23:05:31 UTC 2019

On 07/04/2019 23:37, john whelan wrote:
> > Developing an editor requires making decisions and having opinions
> on OSM tagging. This in turn means getting it wrong sometimes.

> With something like iD spoon feeding new mappers with suggested
> presets the impact is much greater if something isn't quite right or
> the "directions" are not crystal clear and let's face it not all
> mapper's first language is English and reading through instructions is
> not fashionable in some quarters.

That's not borne out by what I see with a DWG hat on - we get to see
quite a lot of complaints about problems caused by new mappers, and
complaints about mistagging due to an editor preset in iD is pretty
rare.  New mappers making faux pas due to misunderstanding JOSM, on the
other hand, is pretty common.  That doesn't mean that one editor is
inherently "good" and the other "bad" - they're different tools for
different jobs.

Best Regards,

Andy