[OSM-talk] iD influencing tagging

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 22:37:32 UTC 2019

> Developing an editor requires making decisions and having opinions on OSM
tagging. This in turn means getting it wrong sometimes.

There is a concept of Threat Risk Assessment which more or less says to
manage risk you take into account the impact if it goes wrong.  If we have
individual mappers making decisions on tags then if they get one wrong no
big deal the impact on the overall map is small.

With something like iD spoon feeding new mappers with suggested presets the
impact is much greater if something isn't quite right or the "directions"
are not crystal clear and let's face it not all mapper's first language is
English and reading through instructions is not fashionable in some
quarters.

I have two thoughts one is simply we have discussed the matter and accepted
that the TRA is acceptable, the other comes back to your point about
decisions being made.  Should there be a reviewing committee before
implementation? This is a more formal approach than OSM has traditionally
taken but we have grown in size and perhaps it is time to be more formal
for somethings these days.

Cheerio John