[OSM-talk] An Archive namespace for the OSM wiki?

Michael Reichert osm-ml at michreichert.de
Fri Apr 19 20:02:48 UTC 2019

Hi,

there is currently a voting on a Deletion Policy [1] for the OSM wiki.
The policy was drafted because we had two incidents last year when
someone tried to delete a large number of old and orphaned tagging
proposals in draft state. He claimed that these pages might confuse
users looking for a tag.

He is not totally wrong with that. These pages can be confusing but
there are reasons why other users (including me) claim that most
proposals should be kept.

In addition to these proposals, there is a much larger number of
outdated wiki pages about mapping techniques and OSM-related software.
Some can be updated but some can't: Pages about Kosmos document a map
renderer whose binary cannot be downloaded any more. Pages about
unmaintained/historic software like Traveling Salesman [2] or Namefinder
[3] are another example.

Deleting these pages is deleting memory and history. Rewriting them in
past tense and deleting unimportant content is a lot of work and is on
the borderline to vandalism if the page could be updated. However, such
pages should be treated different to make readers aware that they hit
something old and outdate. That's why I think that there should be a
"Archive" namespace on the wiki where such pages can be moved.

An alternative to a namespace is a template being added to these pages
informing readers that the page exist for archival purposes only. That
was done with the wiki page about Namefinder. It has already been marked
as "This page describes a historic artifact in the history of
OpenStreetMap. It does not reflect the current situation, but instead
documents the historical concepts, issues, or ideas."

What do you think?

Best regards

Michael

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OpenStreetMap:Deletion_policy