[OSM-talk] An Archive namespace for the OSM wiki?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 09:39:10 UTC 2019

sent from a phone

> On 20. Apr 2019, at 09:24, Jochen Topf <jochen at remote.org> wrote:
>
> I still think that we should not be overly cautious. We should delete
> things when in doubt. Otherwise we'll never get the wiki to a manageable
> level.

what does this mean practically, who is “we”? Every single wiki editor? I agree that “we” should delete pages that don’t have sense for anybody, but if everyone who has a doubt should delete the page this seems an instruction for collective alzheimer.

With a policy like this we would encourage more people of a “deletionist” mindset to go on a “hunting” spree for pages that eventually might be deleted as well. From my point of view the risk of deleting useful information should weigh more than the risk of someone finding an irrelevant search result ranked higher than a useful one.

Also those pages about formerly used discontinued software don’t need a lot of “management”.
Frankly I don’t understand this fuzz about outdated information getting in the way of finding the documentation you want, it hardly ever happened to me, and if it happens it is usually country or project specific docu that ranks higher than the proposals or tagging pages I am looking for, and these are hardly ever pages one would delete.

Cheers, Martin