[OSM-talk] We're erasing our history in wiki

Ilya Zverev ilya at zverev.info
Tue Apr 23 08:47:57 UTC 2019

Mateusz Konieczny wrote:

> Please note that by using "vandalism" you claim that this action was malicious.
> Unless you have really, really good reason to claim that whoever did it was deliberately
> doing this to damage OSM the please avoid such claims.
Well, if you don’t intend your action as malicious, that doesn’t always mean it isn’t.

I am sorry for using strong words, but please understand me. I was digging way back into OpenStreetMap project history to get a complete picture of some event. And then I find out some pages removed completely — with no way for me to restore them using website functionality. Yes, there is a Wayback Machine, but you should not have to use it on a wiki, which is made to store the entire edit history. This disappearance of historic pages, along with active wiki-editors that are happy to place the {{d}} template on any page they don’t like (I’ve seen these and removed some of the templates), prompted me to write a post here.

I’d like you to share the view that only only the recent tagging and recent data in OSM are important, but the history is of value as well.

Ilya