[OSM-talk] Attribution guideline status update

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Fri Aug 9 17:23:15 UTC 2019

On Friday 09 August 2019, Dave F via talk wrote:
> Hi
>
> Static Images.
>
> "Static images should be generally attributed the same way as dynamic
> images, " I agree & a way to enable users to easily add attribution
> needs to be created. The Share>Image feature on the main page should
> automatically image stamp the attribution into the corner. "images of
> areas less 10’000 m2or fewer than 100 features do not require
> attribution." For a static image I'm struggling to see what the area
> coverage or the number of items contained has to do with adding an
> attribution - an image is an image, irrelevant of size. DaveF

I think the idea is that if you create a map based on an insubstantial
amount of OSM data no attribution is required - this derives from
the "Substantial" Guideline.

If you now crop from a larger map a rectangle that equally contains only
an insubstantial amount of OSM data it makes sense to treat this the
same way.  This would only apply to individual small images though -
not to pages systematically showing lots of different crops.  This
restriction, which would match the "Substantial" Guideline, is missing
so far.

I am not sure about the origin of the 10k m^2 limit - that is not in
the "Substantial" Guideline at the moment.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/