[OSM-talk] Attribution guideline status update

Nuno Caldeira nunocapelocaldeira at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 20:52:22 UTC 2019

Another lovely example from our OSMF Corporate Member.

https://blog.mapbox.com/designing-the-treasure-map-style-4318390ad81c

Also feel free to check every hyperlink on that page. If you find any
attribution, let me know. Might be the case that it's not 50% OSM...
Even on the guide that contradicts their attribution
<https://docs.mapbox.com/help/how-mapbox-works/attribution/> of using
Mapbox

> The /text attribution/ contains at least three links: |© Mapbox|
> <https://www.mapbox.com/about/maps/>, |© OpenStreetMap|
> <http://www.openstreetmap.org/about/> and |Improve this map|
> <https://www.mapbox.com/map-feedback/#/-74.5/40/10>. This attribution
> is strictly /required/ when using the Mapbox Streets tileset due to
> OpenStreetMap's data source ODbL
> <http://opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl/summary/> license.

Streets that quote "Mapbox Streetsvector tiles are largely based on data
from OpenStreetMap (OSM), an open source resource of volunteer
maintained geographic data. "
https://www.mapbox.com/resources/guide-to-map-design-part-1a.pdf search
"OpenStreetMap" and be amazed.

Seems none takes OSMF seriously any more, not even the corporate members
and the writing of this guidance was a waste of time and effort. Let's
stop the hypocrisy and switch license to something else, at least
contributors won't be illuded with this "Both licenses /_are “By
Attribution_/” and “Share Alike”. "
https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Licence/Historic/We_Are_Changing_The_License#What_are_the_main_differences_between_the_old_and_the_new_license.3F